Thursday, April 24, 2014

Alumni of the Week: Betsy Newman


From head shots to rock bands, this Alumn has proved you can live your dream job after graduation. 

School: BFA Theatre (Acting)

Graduated: 2012

Hometown: Scottsdale, Arizona, but moved to Los Angeles at 16. 

Favorite spot on campus: Ground Zero, Literati, Coffee Bean-- wherever there is good coffee. (I have a mild addiction, so I had to mix up my spots so the employees didn't catch on).

How I got into photography: It evolved from playing "dress up" as a kid. My parents would go to bed at night and my sister and I would do things like plan an elaborate "dog wedding" for our pets or choreograph a dance show with our electric piano. At some point, a camera was introduced into the mix and it's pretty much history from there. 

How USC inspired me: My BFA acting classes. I was with the same 16 students all throughout school so it was a safe place to create. We did it all-- from performing our "animal study" on all fours (I was a Hyena) to developing a clown persona. By the end of the four years, I had become so comfortable with being uncomfortable that I felt I could do just about anything!

Favorite job: Living on a tour bus and documenting the Maroon 5 tour was definitely up there! I find such a thrill in shooting live music, and words cannot describe the feeling of being on stage in front of 30,000 fans (even if they are not there for you)! I had visions of myself slipping during a blackout and unplugging the sound for the entire show but thankfully that never happened.

Words of wisdom: My mom always said do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life. It's true!

Check out her work here and connect with her here

No comments :

Post a Comment